Sunday, March 24, 2013

Arrival!

Okay so after struggling to get in this morning, "time for an upgrade!" So last time I wrote I had just arrived in Seattle. The next morning I got up really early and walked the two blocks to the Amtrak station. I wouldn't recommend that Hostel to anyone. I had to repack things when I got to the train station because for some reason your checked bags can't weigh more than 50 pounds. This to me is really silly because a train can pull a lot so 54 pounds is not going to affect it to much. This year I made sure to sit on the "coast" side of the train and I got to watch the sun rise against Mt. Rainer. What a great way to start the morning!
I arrived in Bellingham and walked next door to the ferry terminal. I just had to wait a few hours. As soon as I got on I ran up to the Solarium. I met some really cool people. A couple of them were old guys that had either just retired or were thinking they were going to die in the next couple years. They wanted to see Alaska before it was too late. I helped this chick set up her tent on the deck, but she took it down because of the rain. While I was eating dinner, one of the old guys sat at one of the tables staring out the window watching the sun kiss the ocean as it set. All I could think of Worlds Fastest Indian.
Kevin came and got me early in the morning as the snow dumped us. He took me back to his place where a big comfy couch was waiting for me. I met a sleeping Nimrod. With an hour before we had to leave, Nimrod woke up and we had an hour to get to know each other. He drove me into work and two of us were welcomed by the familar staff faces and the other Field Support Specailists. It was good to be back. The first day going out to the EVC I was in heaven. I really missed this place. So all week was spent getting back in the groove of things.
This weekend we came into town. We stayed at the Alaskan and I was really disappointed in that hotel. Nimrod and I went down to start the bar crawl and we met a really interesting character. He started rubbing Nimrod's arm and kept trying to get us to play pool with him. It was pretty great.
This morning there was a fight out the street and that brings us to the present. Sitting in the Silverbow blogging...

2 comments:

  1. We want more details!!!!

    What did you deem "unnecessary" and leave out of your pack to hit the weight limit?

    Where are the pictures of the sunrise?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Sarah, you really left us hanging wondering how you repacked your bag

    ReplyDelete