Again its been awhile. The youth corps leaders got up here back in April. The weekend they came in, a few of us went and hiked Salmon Creek. At first it was just a steep hike up a road, then it went into the woods and went straight up. I think we gained 500 ft in elevation in a half mile or something like that. There was a cable to help pull ourselves along. Once we got up to the top, the lake was frozen over and the dam was massive. We felt so tiny. One of the new crew leaders came up with us and so we did a little ice breaker game, stuff your mouth with fiber bar and try to say your name, where you're from, and your favorite movie quote.
The next weekend we went to Juneau Jumpers (competitive jump rope team) and Contra dancing. What a night! So there's this song that a friend of mine kept playing and now its stuck in my head. "Let the fire's burn tonight, let the jugs of wine get drunk, let the truth be known tonight, don't let yourself go hide, go and sing to the mountains, go and sing to the moon, go and sing to just about everything because everything is you." I love Juneau, I don't ever want to leave. That day was pouring rain and one of the worst days since I've been here, but that song rang in my head and that friend explained how amazing it was to be here and I totally agree. Its this little locked in town that the only way in or out is by plane or boat. Its surrounded by mountains and all these islands. Once you've summited the mountains, there's thousands more and a giant ice field. It may rain a lot but everything is so green and big. The sun today has been out for just a few hours and the flowers are coming out just because of it. Every turn there's a beautiful waterfall making it's way back to the ocean. And the community! Its that small Midwest community combined with hippies. Is there a competitive jump rope team back home that the whole town shows up for because its the middle schoolers? They even did an act in the dark with glow in the dark jump ropes! Do you go to the bar or contra dancing and make up 25% of the people there or know 50% of these people? When we went to the drag show during the intermission, I knew 3 out of the 5 guys they pulled up the stage to dance! I still can't get over that. I love this place.
Last week we hiked Peterson Lake and went to the Arboretum both we amazing. This week was chainsaw training for the new batch of crew leaders. Pictures will have to be uploaded soon. So I just saw I had a few questions so let me answer those. I've learned a lot about the first and second growth forests up here and formation of the land. I forgot to say I saw a porcupine this weekend and a river otter. The river otter was walking on land!
No comments:
Post a Comment